Frequently Asked Questions

1. Will my child receive university credits when attending an Israel program? Can university acceptance be deferred?

A: It all depends on the university they will be attending. The range of credits that a university will accept is between 0 and 32 credits. Some universities will accept these credits only if they transfer credits from an accredited university, such as Yeshiva University or Touro University. York University has traditionally accepted credits directly from the institution in Israel. If you study at the Israel Experience at Bar Ilan, you can apply as a transfer student to your chosen university.

2. What are the different types of Israel programs?

A: There are a variety of programs. Some are all-day learning programs while others combine learning with leadership training, chesed or art. They all have trips that tour the country.

3. How do I choose the right program for my child?

A: Whichever program you choose, your child will likely thrive.  But it is always wise to research which school would be the best fit. Rabbi Leib Irons is also available to discuss what which program would be most suitable.

4. Are there scholarships for my child’s year in Israel?

A: Yes, please click here to read more about available scholarships.

5. Is there a joint application?

A: Many girls’ seminaries use this joint application, while many boys’s programs use this joint application. Be sure to check the instructions on a program’s website to determine if they are part of the joint application.

6. Is NCSY still involved with my child during their year in Israel?

A: Yes. During the year, we will be in contact with the various programs, as well as with your child, to make sure his or her year in Israel is living up to his or her expectations.

7. Can you switch programs mid-year?

A: Yes, but it is certainly preferable to find the proper school for your child at the beginning.

8. How will I be able to contact my child?

A: Parents stay in touch with their children most often  by cell phone or email.

9. What are the living quarters like on my child’s program?

A: Every program has its own accommodations, which vary from dorms to apartments.

10. Is there a nightly curfew?

A: Yes. The time varies depending on the program.

11. What kind of supervision is there at the school?

A: Each school has different levels of supervision. In addition to the teachers and administration, most schools have madrichim/counselors, who are responsible for the supervision of your child.

12. Will my child be served three meals a day?

A: Almost all boys’ programs provide three meals a day. Many seminaries also provide three meals a day. Those that don’t, provide the students with cooking facilities.

13. What happens if my child is sick?

A: The school’s administration will direct your child to an American/Canadian doctor.

14. How does health insurance work?

A: There is a health insurance plan that the school will provide. The cost is about $1 per day.

15. What accommodations are available for my child on Shabbat and Jewish holidays?

A: Most programs allow your child to stay for Shabbat and will coordinate your child’s holiday plans.